Judgment Statute of Limitations

Judgment Statute of Limitations by State

I guess sometimes to a judgment debtor it can seem like a money judgment lasts for an eternity.  Actually it only seems like eternity.  The truth is that court judgments do eventually expire.  Exactly when a judgment expires depends upon the judgment laws for the jurisdiction the judgment is from.  From state to state there is a post judgement statute of limitations.

Did you ever own an unpaid money judgment and wonder how long it will last?  A civil judgment in New Mexico may not have the same length of life as a similar judgment from New Hampshire.  Within its judgment law every state has its own statute of limitations on the life of a judgment.

Anyone who owns an uncollected judgment needs to know how long the judgment will survive before it legally expires.  Naturally a judgment creditor has a serious vested interest in knowing this information.  It could be a big mess if a judgment creditor continued to pursue collection activities against his judgment debtor if the judgment was no longer alive and kicking.

No judgment owner ever needs to give the debtor a valid reason to file any kind of suit based upon an illegal collection practice for continuing to try enforcing an out of date judgment.

It only makes sense for a judgment holder to be sure of when his money judgment will expire.

If you own an old judgment that is still unsatisfied, you also will want to know whether your judgment can be renewed beyond the original statute of limitations.  If you can renew your judgment and if you need to do so, it will be just as important for you to know what steps you have to take to successfully renew your judgment before it expires.

In some states it is possible to revive a dead judgment that didn’t get renewed prior to the expiration of the judgment statute of limitations.  If you are in this sort of situation you will be interested in finding out if your state allows a revival of a judgment.

We will give you the judgement statute of limitations by state for the various states in the USA.  Laws change and we can’t guarantee that this list will be 100% accurate for all of time, so go check your own state codes to confirm the current judgement statute of limitations for your own judgment.  You should find it helpful to discover the post judgment statutes of limitation for your state.


  1. Alabama – 20 Years
  2. Alaska – 10 Years
  3. Arizona – 5 Years
  4. Arkansas – 10 Years
  5. California – 10 Years
  6. Colorado – 20 Years
  7. Connecticut – 20 Years
  8. District of Columbia – 20 years
  9. Delaware – Unlimited
  10. Florida – 20 Years
  11. Georgia – 7 Years
  12. Hawaii – 100 Years
  13. Idaho – 5 Years
  14. Illinois – 20 Years
  15. Indiana – 20 Years
  16. Iowa – 10 Years
  17. Kansas – 5 Years
  18. Kentucky – 15 Years
  19. Louisiana – 100 Years
  20. Maine – 20 Years
  21. Maryland – 12 Years
  22. Massachusetts – 20 Years
  23. Michigan – 10 Years
  24. Minnesota – 10 Years
  25. Mississippi – 7 Years
  26. Missouri – 10 Years
  27. Montana – 10 Years
  28. Nebraska – 20 Years
  29. Nevada – 6 Years
  30. New Hampshire – 20 Years
  31. New Jersey – 20 Years
  32. New Mexico – 14 Years
  33. New York – 20 Years
  34. North Carolina – 10 Years
  35. North Dakota – 10 Years
  36. Ohio – 21 Years
  37. Oklahoma – 5 Years
  38. Oregon – 10 Years
  39. Pennsylvania – 5 Years
  40. Rhode Island – 20 Years
  41. South Carolina – 10 Years
  42. South Dakota – 20 Years
  43. Tennessee – 100 Years
  44. Texas – 10 Years
  45. Utah – 8 Years
  46. Vermont – 8 Years
  47. Virginia – 10 Years
  48. Washington – 10 Years
  49. West Virginia – 10 Years
  50. Wisconsin – 20 Years
  51. Wyoming – 5 Years

Happy judgment collecting!


Click here to go to a page listing links to all articles on this blog site.

5 thoughts on “Judgment Statute of Limitations

  1. I have a few questions to see if you can still help me collect my judgement in the state of California.

    To provide you some background…I had an employee steal/embezzle from me back in June of 2000 for about $65k. That individual was sentenced and ordered to pay restitution but was only able to pay back about $11k before their probation ended. Once their probation ended the restitution was converted to a civil judgement in 2005. I did not pursue and collection efforts during this period of time. Now I am very interested in collecting and will be looking to solicit assistance, however, I have some questions.

    Here are some additional info

    On my Abstract of Judgement (Form EJ-001) there are a few dates on it.
    1. Recorded date – 2/06/05
    2. Box 5. Original abstracted recorded in this county: a. Date: 09/17/00.
    3. In box 8a. Judgement entered on 6/20/00.

    There is no renewal date on this or anything on the abstract.

    I also have an Acknowledgement of Satisfaction of Judgement (EJ-100) that notes that this is a partial satisfaction. However, the County of Riverside is listed and not my name. This was recorded 1/26/05. I believe that the County of Riverside transferred the judgement to me.

    My questions are –

    1. Has the judgement expired? If so, what is the date? If not, what is the new expiration date?
    2. What can you do to help me collect?



  2. Sonny, I must tell you that I do not represent myself as one attempting to give you personal legal advice. Please keep this in mind.

    Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe according to the California Code a Criminal Restitution is a permanent order that does not expire and is not dischargeable through bankruptcy. (Penal Code § 1214).

    I am curious as to whether you have conducted an investigation to discover what income or assets the judgment debtor has which you can use to satisfy your judgment. Have you taken any steps to do this?


  3. I have a judgment against my house in Suffolk, ny that is dated 3/20/2001. I contacted the plantiffs lawyer and they cannot contact the plantiff. So i cannot pay them the money i owe the. Whats should I do?

  4. Hi, 9 years ago I was awarded a money judgment against my rental tenant for apartment I owned in NY. He skipped town/the state, never paid anything. Hired a lawyer to try to collect, was unsuccessful. I have now found my ex-tenant’s new address in TX. Can I try to pursue this again, can his property/wages etc in TX be used to pay off what he owes? Note I am also not a resident of NY, does that matter? Any advice you can give would be welcome, would love to be able to get what he owes for non-payment of rent. Thanks.

  5. Pingback: Statute of Limitations and Judgment Renewal | Enforce My Judgment & How to Collect a Judgment Blog

Leave a Reply